April 27, 2018
Dear Calvary family and friends,
It is with great joy that I announce that Dr. David Farwig will be joining Calvary’s ministerial team as Director of Music on August 15, 2018. As Director of Music (¾ time, approx. 30 hours a week), David will lead and direct of all aspects of Calvary’s diverse music program, incorporating various musical genres for a blended style of worship. His primary areas of responsibility will be directing choral and instrumental ensembles for Calvary’s Sunday morning worship service and seasonal worship experiences, leading congregational singing, worship planning, and developing and overseeing Calvary’s music experiences for children, youth, and adults. Working collaboratively with staff and volunteers, the Director of Music fosters a welcoming, safe community for musicians of all ages to share their gifts in worship and fellowship with one another.
Calvary is extremely grateful that we have found and hired such a gifted individual to serve in this pivotal position which requires a unique blend of skills and expertise. David has that blend, and in fact, has exceeded our expectations and hopes in terms of talent, passion, and experience. We will be sharing more about David’s accomplishments and qualifications with you this summer, but here are a few highlights:
• DMA in Choral Conducting (Univ. of Missouri Conservatory of Music and Dance); MM in Choral Conducting (Univ. of Denver-Lamont School of Music); BA in Music Education (Metropolitan State Univ. in Denver); BA in Vocal Performance (Adams State Univ. in Alamosa, CO)
• Nationally and internationally sought after professional singer/soloist, choral director, and clinician
• David is a “lyric baritone with a unique and beautiful sound, unsurpassed clarity, flexibility, and deep expressivity.”
• Bilingual – fluent in conversational and written Spanish; fluent with lyric French, Italian, & German diction
• Currently serving as the Artistic Director of The Alpine Chorale in Arvada and as the Interim Director of Music at Wellshire Presbyterian Church in Denver
• Formerly served on the faculty at the Lamont School of Music at University of Denver, as the Director of the Chancel Choir and Gospel Choir at Park Hill United Methodist Church in Denver, as the Assistant Conductor for the St. Martin’s Chamber Choir in Denver, and as assistant conductor/director in a variety of church and university settings
• Served for six years as the Director of the Men’s Chorus and Assistant Conductor of The United States Air Force Singing Sergeants at Bolling AFB in Washington, DC (Honorably Discharged – March 2000)
• The Singing Sergeants are “a full-time, professional chamber ensemble, whose primary mission is to support presidential, military, and community public relations worldwide through high level, choral/vocal solo and ensemble presentations.”'
One of the things that immediately drew me to David is his relational personality and his eagerness to connect with our Calvary congregation on both spiritual and musical levels. In his own words, David seeks to be a Director of Music that “harmoniously blends my combination of real-world experience and formal education, through excellence in teaching, performance, varied and inspired programming, recruitment and community outreach, efficient and responsible administration, and healthy, productive relationships with singers, congregation, and staff.”
Per our bylaws, this Director of Music position is a hired position, which means the hire is at the discretion of the Senior Pastor and does not require a congregational vote. However, wanting broader expertise and input for this important decision, I utilized the wisdom of a Music Search Committee,
which included Rick Breitenbecher, Karen Chapman, Beth Dickinson, Jordan Grohskopf, Ron Johnson, Michael Jonell, Greg Kitto, Ken Pinkham, Deborah Rohrer, and Garland Thurman. I also consulted with Music Librarian Carm Hammon, and the Calvary Choir had the opportunity to participate in an audition with our three finalists and to vote for their preferred candidate. Should you have questions about this position or process, our Search Committee members would be happy to speak with you. With such broad-based input and support, I enthusiastically hired David and he accepted the position of Director of Music at Calvary.
David and his husband Greg live in Denver with their two labs, Roscoe & Rufus. We look forward to officially welcoming David to Calvary on Sunday, August 19, 2018. Watch your mail for an introductory brochure/flyer about David in July. Until then, we remain grateful for the leadership of Interim Choir Director Emily Crile and Interim Music Coordinator and Accompanist Lucie Cardwell. If you have questions about our music ministry between now and August, you may contact Lucie at email@example.com.
Calvary - the Spirit of the Living God is alive and at work in our midst. We have much to celebrate!
Rev. Anne J. Scalfaro, Senior Pastor